My Mission

I have a two reasons for starting this blog. First, I am a devoted Christian who enjoys teaching others what I have learned, especially about the Bible. I not only have a background in cross-cultural ministry, but also includes children's ministry at both preschool and grade school leaves.

I have also worked the 12 Step of recovery in a manner in which I made them subject to Biblical principles. I am a greatfully recovering adult child of multiple dysfunctional families and a co-dependent. You will note that postings that I write dealing with this subject are categorized as Biblical Discipleship- Recovery. That term is not just propaganda on my part to win over those who are skeptical of the 12 steps. It recognizes that the Bible is the key to true "self improvement." It also reminds us that such improvements should be done for the purpose of us become more effective Christians.

The second reason for me writing this blog is to confront the prejudices that many Americans have towards Arabs. The notion that all Arabs are both Muslims and Terrorist is far more prevalent then I ever realized while attending American churches. It should be noted that all of those who I have met who refuse to believe that it is possible for Arabs to choose Christianity have proven themselves to be anything but devote Christians. Pastor Jamal on the other hand will attest that there have been times when American Christians have told him that they want to support his ministry, but they are afraid that their money might be used to bomb Israelis.

It is with this in mind that I hope to present to you First Arabic Baptist Church. A church of devoted Christians - affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention - that conducts its services in Arabic and English - trying to do its part in fulfilling "The Great Commission".

Note: All view expressed in this blog are my own and are not necessarily those of Pastor Jamal Bishara, First Arabic Baptist Church of Phoenix or The Southern Baptist Convention.

Saturday, October 27, 2007

SWIMMING LESSONS

I took a survival swimming course shortly after graduating from high school. We were taught how to do the, “survival bob.” If we were ever stranded in the water and needed to buy time for help to arrive, we would go threw repetitive cycle of relaxing our arms allowing ourselves to sink below water for a few seconds so we can rest them, and then paddle our way back above water for a few seconds to get more oxygen. By doing this, you are supposed to be able to survive out in the ocean for several days.

I am to this day a poor swimmer, so my instructor and I thought it would be good for me to send my free time practicing basic swimming. So while he would be busy with some one else or just relaxing, I would push myself as far out as possible from the side of the pool in front of him at the deep end and practice swimming back. I did this several times in a row and then decided to do it just one more time. That was one more time then my arms had the strength to pull me back.

I quickly calmed myself and went into the “survival bob” routine that I had just been taught. I rested my arms, and after being underwater for a few second, I started paddling myself back above water. The instant my head broke the surface, I calmly called out for help; but my arms were fatigued again. And so I rested them long enough to get some straight back in them and then shot back to the. This time I knew my instructor would be read for me.

As soon as broke the surface, I heard him say, “Jason, over here!” I could not see him because of all the splashing I was doing, but I heard were the voice had come from. I reach out in that direction and then felt my wrist being grabbed and then me being pulled. After I was back holding the side of the pool, my instructor commended me for my efforts.

Life is full of growth and challenges. God is pleased when we step out and take risks that will improve our relationship with Him and all that He has created. God wants us to strive for these noble goals that He has placed in our hearts. This is how He transforms us into the image of his Son. And when we fall short, He will always be right there to get us out of our jams. He will not condemn us for not meeting these goals; but instead He will commend us for our obedience and courage.

No comments: